by Michele Taranto
Tis the Season for Pickin!
It's a great fall tradition. Pack the entire family in the car and enjoy the fresh, crisp air of the season! Apple picking is a great event the entire family can enjoy (and even the four-legged members) but Westford residents have a great advantage because there are two fabulous choices for apple picking right in your backyard! The only problem is, where to find those many apple recipes to enjoy the fruits of your labor!
At Westford Hill Orchard, you will not find a circus environment. This orchard offers the true farm experience. It boasts acres of fruit-filled trees, rolling meadows, a tractor-drawn hay wagon and 25 choices of flavorful apples.
Tips on visiting the Westford Hill Orchard:
· Cash only. There is a credit card machine in the farm stand.
· There is real hay on the hayride. Shorts may be itchy. Bring solid foot ware if it is hot, sunscreen and/or a hat.
· There are picnic tables, but no coolers, backpacks or strollers in the orchard.
· Drinks and snacks as well as vegetables, breads, pies, homemade jams and other local items for sale in the farm stand.
· Bathrooms are available at the farm stand.
Hill Orchard is located at 4 Hunt Rd. (entrance to PYO field is actually off Chamberlain Rd.). It is open Saturday & Sunday: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. (978) 692 9894.
Drew Farm offers tractor rides into the orchard for apply and pumpkin picking on the weekends. There is also fresh-pressed cider and old-fashioned root beer to quench your thirst! Well behaved, leashed dogs are also welcome in the orchard!
About Drew Farm:
· FREE tractor rides into the orchards.
· VISA and Mastercard accepted.
· Leased pets welcome.
· Picnic tables available for family outings.
· Apples, drinks and cider doughnuts for sale.
Drew Farm is located at, 31 Tadmuck Rd. It is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. 978-807-0719.