I think of French Onion Soup as the Rocky Balboa of soups. It is an enduring favorite and it may be basic, but it definitely has depth. You can envision it going a few rounds with Apollo Creed's Beef Stew..
But seriously, French Onion Soup is definitely a favorite of mine-I love to order it in restaurants but I'd never actually attempted to make at home. In all of the years that I have been cooking, the first time I tried to make it was last weekend, when I found a recipe for to a slow cooker version. I have just one thing to say.
Yo Adrian! This is amazing!
This slow cooker version of the classic recipe is easy and so very good-you really need to give it a try.
One piece of advice: Use the Gruyere. The recipe calls for Gruyere cheese, which I purchased, but when my husband and I tried it we agreed that it tasted awful. We used Provolone instead. The soup was good but we both felt there was something missing, so on our second round we used the Gruyere. BIG improvement. Do yourself a favor and use it in this recipe.
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- 4 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 8 oz beer (I used a Scottish Ale my husband made)
- 64 oz of low-sodium beef stock
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- French bread
- Gruyere cheese, sliced
- Set your crock pot on high, then add onions, garlic, brown sugar, butter, salt and balsamic vinegar and mix until combined.
- Cover and let cook for 60 minutes, until onions are beginning to caramelize and are brown on the edges.
- Stir in flour and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add beer, beef stock, thyme and pepper, then turn heat down to low, cover and cook for 8 hours.
- Cut French bread into slices.
- Fill soup bowls to the top, then cover with slice of bread and a slice of cheese.
- Set under the broiler (on a piece of foil to catch any dripping cheese) for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
(Adapted from Tyler Florence's French Onion Soup recipe)