Today’s “You Asked, Patch Answers” address a question surrounding the busiest intersection in town, Minot’s Corner.
However, the question isn’t about traffic at the corner of Littleton, Boston and Carlisle Roads, but who exactly Minot was. If one looks closely while making a right hand turn off Exit 32, they can see the answer, but we can help out those who don’t feel like risking their life at that tricky intersection to search for the small plaque in front of the .
Minot refers to the Minot family, especially Capt. Jonathan Minot.
Jonathan wasn’t the first to live in the house where the Mobil on the Run now stands, as the family emigrated from England in the early to mid 1700s, and the family continued to live there until the 1940s, when it was replaced with Polly’s Restaurant and eventually the gas station that is there today.
A picture showing what the intersection looked like when Polly’s was there is available in the Westford Police Department main station lobby, just to the left of the dispatch window.
The term “Minot’s Corner” was in place by 1903, and possibly earlier.
Jonathan Minot also supposedly built the Gilbert Parker House, still located just north of the Jack Walsh Field.