When packing for your college move, it is best to create a list of all of the items that you will need. This list may include clothes, books, pictures, posters, dishes, room décor and electronics. Leave expensive valuables or family heirlooms behind. Try to pick items that will help you to feel at home while also serving as necessities for everyday living. Refer to the following list for examples:
- Pack the books that will help in studying only for the classes for which you are registered.
- Bring only a portion of your room decor (posters, pictures, pillows or other accessories), as your space is typically cut in half.
- Opt for portable music players with a docking station instead of a stereo, or playing music through your computer.
- Purchase a television that is cable ready with built in players.
- Rent a refrigerator from campus or purchase one once you arrive on campus.
- Leave behind any furniture, unless it is small and compact.
- Purchase lightweight plastic dishes as opposed to glass or ceramics.