Girls Basketball Wins to Reach North Final
The Grey Ghosts fought off a late Billerica charge to earn a 53-49 semifinal victory.
The Westford Academy girls basketball team held on. Now they're moving on.
After leading early, the Grey Ghosts fought off a Billerica charge in the North Division 1 semifinal on Thursday night. Thanks to a 53-49 win, Westford Academy will play on Saturday in the bracket final.
“In the first game against Billerica we missed some big free throws so it is kind of nice to come full circle, hit some key free throws and win it,” Westford Academy head coach Russ Coward told ESPNBoston.com following the victory.
Junior forward Sam Hyslip led the charge for the Lady Grey Ghosts. She poured home 20 points and snagged 18 rebounds in the victory.
Billerica handed Westford Academy one of its four losses during the regular season, a 57-53 decision on January 17. The Grey Ghosts haven't lost since, as they are riding a 14-game win streak as the tournament's No. 3 seed.
Coward's charges hope to add another notch to their streak as they take on fifth-seeded Central Catholic in the North Division 1 final. The game is slated for 6 p.m. on Saturday on the hardwood of Lowell's Tsongas Center.
Are you a big fan of the Grey Ghosts? You'll also want to see:
- Westford Academy Hockey One Win From Title Game
- Girls Basketball Ready for Next Postseason Test
- Chris Bramanti Helps Grey Ghosts Exceed Expectations
- Playoff Brackets Revealed for Three Grey Ghost Teams
- State Title Among Long List of Week's WA Accomplishments
- Positive Energy Pays Off for Grey Ghosts Hockey Coach
- Grey Ghosts Score Big Win Over Andover in Grey Ghost Classic
- Kelly Huber Making a Splash in and Out of the Pool
- Coward and Grey Ghosts Clinch League Title